Monday, January 12, 2009

Update on Sara's weight gain.

Well, I just got back from the LC's office. Apparently it is just a supply issue. The weight showed that Sara was only getting about 2 oz. So the LC suggested upping my dose of fenugreek. I had only been taking it once a day and she said to take it three times a day. I feel bad. I wish I'd been paying more attention... I have a new appreciation for moms who have supply problems. I never have before and this is discouraging.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I'm sorry to hear that--I know how frustrating that is having gone through it with my first. I'll keep it on the prayer list! Dark beer (think ale) is supposed to help, haha. :-) I tried Reglan for mine and it was not a pleasant experience--I think mine was largely a shutdown due to stress. I've heard great things about domperidone, but I know it's really hard to find. Let me know if I can do anything for you! We missed you at the meeting last night!

Joyful_Momma said...

Thanks Carrie. I was sad to miss the meeting but dh needed the van and I was a little worn out.

About the beer...Dr. Hale (THE expert on drugs and breastfeeding) said at the breastfeeding conference when I heard him speak (Oct 2005) that actually alcohol of any kind would actually decrease supply. Had something to do with chemicals released by your body because of alcohol. That is a common myth though. I know some docs have even recommended it. Brewer's yeast can help with milk supply, but you don't need to drink beer to get it.

I hope that didn't sound preachy, I have just heard that myth being propagated so much and want to use every opportunity to dispel it.

If the herbs don't help I will definitely consider the reglan or domperidone...but I want to save those options for a last resort.

The prayers are much appreciated!! :D