Monday, January 19, 2009

My late night political ramblings

Today I got in a discussion about Bush commuting the sentences of agents Ramos and Compean. I am glad he did that, but I am far from thinking that he did it with the purely correct motive. It was a political move. The people wanted it and he did what 'we the people' wanted.

I have never been so interested in politics, to my discredit, as I have been this election season. It was the bailout that really energized me to begin looking into things for myself. What I have learned has made me disgusted with politics and politicians and with the people who vote for them.

One thing I have learned is that the two party system we have now is horrid! It does not represent the people at all. We need options outside of the Reps or Dems. The problem is that people continue to swallow the line that, "voting for a third party is wasting your vote". And they are correct, as long as people think that it will be true.

Another thing I have learned is that most people are too ill informed to make a good decision about who to vote for. They are either Republicans or Democrats and the really humorous thing is that the two groups think that the parties are different! Well, maybe that isn't so funny.

I have also learned that the news media chooses our candidates for the Republican and Democratic parties. It all has to do with how much MSM (mainstream media) coverage the candidates get as to who gets their parties' nomination. And since the MSM is where most people get their news and on what they base their decision for who they will vote for, basically the media chooses our elected officials. That is not funny at all!

I have learned, much to my chagrin, that I was duped. I voted for Bush the first time he ran and I would have voted for him again, but I missed voting in that election- I was sick election day. I was, like many Christians I know, a one or two issue voter. I could not vote for someone who was pro-choice or who supported gay marriage.

I have learned that the Republicans 'pro-life' stance is really just a political talking point. A way to get votes. It was not until 1980 that either political party made a statement about where they stood. The Democrats that year made a clear pro-choice statement. Interesting to note that the same year the Southern Baptist Convention made a pro-life statement when previously it had been pro-choice. With that one political decision on the Dems part and the subsequent decision of the Reps effectively moved a large part of the Democratic voting base, which was largely Catholic, to the Republicans. This is a good article on that issue.

I have learned that the Patriot Act, larglely ignored by 'conservatives', is in direct violation of Constitutional protections of individual rights. That along with Bush's many signing statements has effectively set up a lovely little dictatorship for our new POTUS. That scares me for my country. Scares me very much.

I have learned that it is the rare politician who has nothing to hide and that will stand up against his/her party and do the right thing for the people they represent. Ron Paul earned my eternal respect when he was asked why he would not support McCain since McCain had won the Reps nomination. Paul said, basically, "Why would I? I didn't think he was right during the primaries and I don't think he is right now.". He unabashedly stood for what he believed and refused to 'play ball', which is why he will never be the Republican nominee for the POTUS. And that is sad.

Well that is all the rambling I have energy for tonight. I did warn you that it was rambling, this could have been much longer though so be thankful I am tired! LOL

No comments: