Thursday, January 8, 2009

Be Kind to Everyone...

You never know what turmoil their soul may be in.

A man in our church took his life early this week. Such a shock. My first reaction when I heard the news was that is was some sick joke. It could NOT be true! Him? Why? He always seemed so happy. Not that I knew him well, but he was always pleasant. Last night at church I was hoping that it would turn out to be a mistake. It was really someone else. It just could not be true.

I cannot imagine how his wife and kids feel. How awful for them. I have prayed for them almost non-stop since I heard. It was the thought I woke up with. I pray that God will comfort them. I pray that they will seek Him and not turn away. I pray no one tells them something that will only cause more grief.


Suicide. I heard someone say once that suicide is purely selfish. I believe that is generally true, but not always. I have also heard that depression is caused by chemical imbalances in your brain and if left untreated can lead someone to commit suicide. I think that is backward. I think that it is turmoil of the spirit that leads to the physical side of depression. Something goes wrong in the spirit and the body is affected. Proverbs 18:14, "The spirit of a man will sustain his infirmity; but a wounded spirit who can bear?"

I know that I was not being selfish in my determination to take my life. I had become convinced that it would be better for my family if I was gone. The devil had worked me over pretty good. I am only here because of God's grace and a wonderful husband.

I know that my spirit is where the problem started. The physical and mental symptoms came later. I dwelt on negative things and it poisoned my soul. But that is another story.

To everyone, be kind, be patient to everyone. You cannot know what they may be dealing with in their spirit. And do not think that the person who is suffering so is weaker than you. The devil is walking 'about as a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour'. The wicked one knows just where and when to attack. Have compassion.

To the one who the devil is after, tell someone. Your pastor, your spouse, a friend, a stranger. Just tell someone. We in the church are supposed to help each other and 'bear one another's burdens', but we cannot do that if we don't know you have a burden. You are not alone. Someone will understand. Do not suffer and toil under a load you were not meant to bear. Tell someone. Seek counsel and help. KNOW that God does love you and he has a plan. He has given you a life that only you can live. No problem is too big for God. He is the Counselor, the Great Physician, he knows the cure for your problem.

1 comment:

Joyful_Momma said...

Thank you Megan for sharing your story and perspective. I am sorry for how you were treated by those in the church. I do understand how you feel and some parts of your comment I could have very easily written myself.

I did not mean to imply that the symptoms of depression are not real. I do believe however that it does originate with the spirit. One may be wounded spiritually and it will affect one physically. Those physical symptoms are real, but the origin is still spiritual. It does not mean that the one affected is less spiritual or somehow deficient of faith, since the faith we have is a gift and not given on merit.

I know there was more that I wanted to say, but I have lost my thoughts...interrupted by a baby...