Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Infant Potty-training (elimination communication)

I had tried to 'potty-train' four of my other babies. I had varying degrees of success. However, by the time they were a year we were using diapers all the time. Somewhere along the way I would start missing when they needed to go or I just got lazy.

So, while I was pregnant with Sara I prayed that the Lord would help me do it right and that I would be successful this time. One should be careful, very careful, in what one prays for.

Since the day she was born Sara did NOT like to wet her diaper. She would cry and fuss until we took the diaper off and took her to the pot. Now she is a little more diplomatic and will go in her diaper if I do not take her in time...during the day. At night she fusses and squirms until I drag my tired body out of bed to take her potty. I don't even bother putting a diaper on her at night anymore. She never wets during the night.

I should not complain. I have what I wanted. But I do complain...every night. I lay there with Sara tossing and turning next to me wishing she would just go to sleep, knowing that she will not until I take her potty. I am so tired at 2 am.

On the good side. I have taken her out in public without a diaper on several occasions with only one or two accidents. A package of diapers will last two or three weeks. It is fun to see people's reactions to us taking Sara potty.

Sara is only six months and it is usually after that time that I quit with the other kids, but I have a feeling it will be different this time. At least I hope it will be, all the lost sleep will be worth it if I can do well with her.

1 comment:

Joyful_Momma said...

Not something I would ever try to tell someone they MUST, or even ought, to do. It is much more important for a baby to have a happy and relaxed mama. And as you said, it will happen eventually. I cannot say that I am doing so well with Sara because I am self-disciplined, it is a matter of survival! LOL