Whenever I voice my opinion about the War in Iraq or Afghanistan I usually hear a comment that sounds something like, "But so many our our soldiers have died over there. We have to keep fighting." or, "I'd rather it be over there than over here!"
By the logic of the first reply, we will keep fighting forever! or until...until what? Our president sent our troops over there for nothing! He was at the least acting on very poor intelligence or at worst just looking for a fight. There were no WMDs. War does not spread 'democracy' or Christianity.
And what if there had been WMDs? Should it matter to us? If they were not being used on us why should we care? Iraq was a sovereign nation. No matter what we thought of their leader, he was THEIR leader. We have no business messing in the personal affairs of other nations. The idea of 'rogue nations' is preposterous! Sovereign nations should be left alone as long as they leave us alone. I don't mean to say that we should not be ready to defend our nation, but preemptive war (a war about what might happen) is wrong.
The 'War on Terror' is as big a joke as the 'War on Drugs'!! You cannot fight a mindset, an ideology, a tactic, with guns.
The wars we are currently fighting (as is every military action the US has engaged in since WWII) is unconstitutional. There was no declaration of war. Only Congress can declare war. So the POTUS used a loophole.
As for the second response. How long do you expect it to stay 'over there'? If we continue to invade countries and kill their people? how long will they put up with it before they decide to 'turn it all into glass'? How much do you think they will take?
That is really off topic though...
I oppose the wars we are fighting at present. BUT I am thankful for the men and women who volunteer to fight in them. I honor their sacrifice and devotion to duty. I only wish our leader had enough guts to NOT send them to fight a senseless battle and die or be maimed, for nothing but imperialism! I wish our current POTUS would do the right thing and bring our troops home...not just send them somewhere else.
My step-dad served 23 years in the Marine Corps. My mother served 8. One of my stepmothers served 20+ years in the Air Force. My grandfather served some time (not sure how long) in the Navy. My father-in-law served over 20 years in the Navy.
I have friends who have been or are in the Armed Forces.
I am thankful that they are and were willing to serve their country. I support our troops...but I DO NOT support the wars that they are currently fighting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment