Friday, November 30, 2012

Morally Bankrupt

During the public meetings leading up to the passage of a city ordinance restricting the use of hand held electronic devices while driving the mayor said repeatedly that he had several people say to him, referring to their habit of using their cell phone while driving, "Please pass this so I will stop doing this.".

I find that the most pathetic statement. Really, you need a law to make you do the right thing? If you believe it wrong why do you do it? This person(s) would be murderers apparently if there wasn't a law against it. They would all drive drunk and be hopeless drug addicts or child molesters. If you need a law to force you to exercise common sense you are an idiot. If you need a law to keep you from doing what you believe or know to be wrong you are absolutely without a conscience.

That is where we are I suppose. A nation full of individuals that have no common sense and who must rely on the ordinances of the authorities to inform them of what is right and moral behavior. How utterly pathetic.

1 comment:

Latraviata said...

New tools, new rules.
Fortunately law is not static but changes according to the development of society which is not the same as 100 years ago.
You should not drive through a red light, which is I assume in the USA legally defined.