Saturday, September 19, 2009

Town Hall with Mac Thornberry

I went this morning early, 8:30 am. to a town hall. Of course we knew that the main subject would be health care reform. I didn't want to know about that since I am pretty sure I know where he stands already. Anyway, it was okay. Not many hard questions or even many original thoughts. There were a few amusing moments and a few infuriating ones and many eye roll moments.

There was one lady that had some good things to say about health care and I agree with her on some of that. She said that we don't need another government agency, but that we need to better use what we have. I like her idea of a sliding scale for premiums and co-pays with medicaid. That idea is very appealing to me. We cannot afford private ins. but I hate using medicaid because then I pay for nothing and others pay for it all. That doesn't sit well with my libertarian ideals.

I asked a couple questions. One was for someone else that couldn't be there. Not sure that person will be happy with the answer.

My own question was, "Considering your vote for the 'bailout' last year and your vote for the PATRIOT ACT, how can we trust that you will do as you vowed on taking office to uphold the Constitution? How can we trust that you will represent the people and that you will not vote for anything that violates the constitution?"

His response the bailout part was justification. Saying how the President and his advisors were saying that something MUST be done. and that the amended bill was more palatable. He didn't really answer my second question. But he did say he disagreed with me about the PATRIOT ACT. I asked, "So, you don't think that it infringes on our 4th amendment rights?" He replied, "No, not at all."

Well thank you Mr. Thornberry for making me even more sure that I was glad I didn't vote for you in the last election!!

No comments: