Some time ago my eldest daughter was told in a discussion that she shouldn't waste her time studying anything except the Bible. What a ridiculous thing to say! Do they really think that? Really?!
Seriously, the Bible has nothing in it about algebra, physics, US history (or much world history), carpentry, electricity, and I could go on and on. Is knowing about those things pointless?
God created the human mind with an incredible capacity to learn and an insatiable curiosity. Did he really give us that so we could only learn Bible verses? Can anyone honestly believe there is no value in learning about the world around us, how it works, its history, its present, and its future?
There is so much to learn and know. And I am very glad that the electrician who works on my house read something besides the Bible. I'm so thankful that the doctor who performed my surgery studied something besides the Bible.
And even if I don't need the knowledge for a career choice, what is wrong with just learning it just because I want to know? What if I just want to know about microbiology? Do you not think it pleases God that I am interested in his creation? What creator of art or technology doesn't like his creation to be admired?
Yes, the Bible is sufficient for matters of faith; but there is so much more to the world. So much to be learned and explored.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Good article dear
I understand what you mean but then I read the letter posted at the beginning of jesus-is-lord.com and understand what she means. My son's friends are in high school and we were discussing all the skills we no longer have. It reminds me of the children's book-Ox-Cart Man I recommended on another blog. So many of our children's friends went to college then ended up not being able to get work or deciding they wanted to do something else and had those student loans to pay off. I know girls who couldn't stay at home with their babies because of student loans(and stay-at-home grandmothers watch those babies-that's a whole other topic). I'm a grandmother and see things differently now. I do understand what you mean.
Post a Comment