The Cordoba Initiative got the go ahead to build the community center and mosque a couple of blocks from Ground Zero. And, not surprisingly, the Right is in uproar. The amount of vitriol coming from opponents of the mosque is really disturbing. I saw a comment on an article where the author called for all mosques to be blown up. Hateful people.
One of the arguments I hear most often is about the name of the mosque, Cordoba House. Cordoba was built, as the critics of the mosque say, as a sign of the triumph of the Muslims and that the use of that name means that the Muslims in NYC that are building this mosque are doing it as a celebration of the Islamic victory on 9/11. Maybe so, and?
History of Cordoba
I found this tidbit interesting. Quote from this article, "Ironically, Islam's roots in New York City are in the area around the site of the World Trade Center, and they predate the Twin Towers: in the late 19th century, a portion of lower Manhattan was known as Little Syria and was inhabited by Arab immigrants — Muslims and Christians — from the Ottoman Empire"
I like this video, the guy is a little annoying but makes a good point.
Jon Stewart had a great segment about this called "Municipal Land-Use Hearing Update". If you want to watch it you'll have to go look it up. He says one bad word that wasn't bleeped so I won't post it here.
If this were just about a mosque at Ground Zero I might sympathize. But there have been several instances when residents of cities all over the country have protested mosques being built, even before 9/11. And usually those protesting say they are christians and patriotic americans. Nevermind that the freedom of religion is in the 1st Amendment to the Constitution.
I had a lot more to say, but can't at the moment. Kids need tending to.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment