Thursday, August 27, 2009

The ACLU is evil...or maybe not.

I know that the typical conservative opinion of the ACLU is that it is an evil organization that is always against Christianity. I went searching their site today and while I morally disagree with the positions that the ACLU defends, constitutionally I think that the ACLU is doing a good thing.

Take the most recent viral christian-right vitriol...FL residents take stand against ACLU

Christians are frantically trying to portray this as an attack on the First Amendment. But is it? The teachers were leading prayer, not students praying on their own. How would these Christians feel if the teachers were leading students in muslim prayer or buddhist prayer? I imagine the response would be very different.

Teachers are government employees, well at least public school teachers are, and should not be using that position to proselytize young people.

So now I have a long list of things I found on the ACLU's website. Cases that I believe Christians would approve of.
Virginia jail ends censorship of religious material

ACLU stands up for pregnant women's right to refuse medical care

ACLU calls for provision for freedom of speech and association protection

Kindergartener's right to freedom of religious expression

ACLU over unlawful searches and detentions by TSA

ACLU Challenges Defense Department Personnel Policy To Regard Lawful Protests As “Low-Level Terrorism”

ACLU Files Federal Lawsuit To Protect Religious Liberty Of New Jersey Prisoner

ACLU of Pennsylvania Defends Church Forced to Shut Down Its Ministry to Homeless

ACLU Urges Governor Crist to Uphold and Respect Religious Freedom for All Floridians

City of Portland Upholds Freedom of Religion

Judge Orders Children Returned To Their Families

ACLU Sues To Protect Marriages Threatened By Recent Court Decision

ACLU Says Religious Tests for Public Office Unconstitutional

ACLU Challenges Louisiana Law Funneling Taxpayer Funds to Favored Churches

Louisiana Court Affirms Christian Protester's Free Speech Rights

ACLU of New Jersey Applauds Ruling in Favor of Student's Right to Sing "Awesome God"


ACLU of Tennessee Fights for Religious Freedom in Wilson County Public School

City of Omaha and ACLU of Nebraska Announce Settlement in Lawsuit Over Muslim Woman Barred from Public Pool

ACLU of Nebraska Defends Church Facing Eviction by the City of Lincoln

Following Threat of ACLU of Virginia Lawsuit, Officials to Agree Not to Ban Baptisms in Public Parks

No comments: