Friday, May 1, 2009

The Backlash Against Breast Is Best: Why Is Breastfeeding Under Attack? | The Business of Being Born Message Board

The Backlash Against Breast Is Best: Why Is Breastfeeding Under Attack? The Business of Being Born Message Board:

“It appears no longer within the realm of the imaginable that . . . ‘breastfeeding-friendly’ could mean making it possible for women and their babies to be together,” writes Lepore. “When did ‘women’s rights’ turn into ‘the right to work’?”

How profound!

I am a BIG breastfeeding advocate. It always makes me a little sad when a mom decides not to breastfeed. I know that breastfeeding doesn't automatically make a good mother, but it has always seemed to me that they are giving up on God's best. And one must see breastfeeding as God's best, if one is honest, because God is the one who designed the breast to produce food for babies. God set in motion all of the intricate hormonal and other physical changes that make it possible to breastfeed. He put in babies instincts that help the baby breastfeed.

Having said that, I do realize that there are women out there who really cannot breastfeed, I personally know three. These women, despite their best efforts did not produce milk, or not enough milk, for their babies to thrive on breastmilk alone. And having had some supply issues myself with Sara I know how frustrating and discouraging that can be. However, I do think that many women give up because of bad advice or inaccurate information or because they have problems and don't get the help and encouragement they need.

No comments: